Parent Support Programs
Each May, the CAN Council hosts the Baby Academy as a community baby shower for expectant mothers and caretakers of infants. The event features prevention education seminars and various giveaways from our community partners. Preregistration is required, and participation is limited to the first 200 to register.
Interested in helping sponsor the Baby Academy or donating a giveaway item? Please contact the CAN Council office in your county.
Make Parenting a Pleasure
12 sessions; 2-hour sessions; for highly stressed parents of children 0-8 years old
- Getting Started
- Nurturing/Taking Care of Ourselves
- Understanding Stress
- Stress & Anger/Management & Techniques
- Managing Anger/Modeling Alternatives
- The Dance of Communication/Nonverbal Communication/Listening Skills
- Child Development/The Basics
- Discipline: Laying the Foundation
- Discipline: Parents’ Toolbox
- Discipline: Changing Behavior
- Surviving the Picky Eater (1.5-hour class): Tips for healthy eating. Provides insight into the mind of a picky eater, learning who is responsible for mealtime and making food fun.
- Alternatives in Discipline (2-hour class): A nonviolent approach to disciplining children. Obtain an understanding of Michigan’s spanking-related laws and their consequences, develop a healthy relationship between parent and child, learn appropriate discipline techniques, and discover available local resources.
- Loving Language (1.5-hour to 2-hour class): Enhancing communication for children and families. Learn strategies to enhance conversation and build relationships, as well as techniques that meet your family’s needs for encouraging social and emotional development.