Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1. How do I report child abuse?

To report child abuse or neglect in Michigan, call (855) 444-3911.

CAN Council’s Children’s Advocacy Centers provide forensic interview services based on referrals from law enforcement and CPS.

CAN Council is not the investigating agency on a child abuse or neglect case.


2. What types of volunteer opportunities do you have?

We offer many different, ever-changing volunteer opportunities. To learn what our current needs are, please visit our “Volunteer” page or call one of our offices to speak to the volunteer coordinator.


3. How can my group make a donation?

Donations to the CAN Council can be made in the form of a monetary contribution or by contributing items from our wish lists.
Give to Children Wish List
Give to CAN Council Wish List

To learn more about how you can host a CAN Council fundraiser, visit our “Make a Contribution” page.


4. Will you offer education programs in the evening or on weekends?

One goal of our Child Abuse Prevention Education (CAPE) program is to provide prevention education throughout the community; we will go where we are invited. One of our prevention education specialists can help schedule a time that works best for you or your organization; contact one of our offices for assistance with scheduling a program.


5. What are those babies all about?

The Safe Baby program uses computerized infant simulators to give young people a small sample of what it might be like to care for an infant. CAN Council runs the area’s the only such program. Infant simulators are available to schools on a first come, first served basis. The babies will cry to be fed, changed, rocked or burped. At the end of the weekend-long experience, the students get a printed report of how well they cared for the infant simulator.


6. What is CASA?

CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) is a program of specially trained volunteers who provide a powerful voice in the court system for children who have been removed from their homes due to abuse or neglect.


7. How are you funded?

CAN Council receives funding through individual contributions and planned giving; memorials and honorariums; federal, state and local grants; United Way (allocation and designations); annual special events (Mardi Gras auction, Dine & Unwind, Hometown Heroes Hockey Night, GolfSit and Ducky Derby);  and contributions from churches, civic groups and businesses. Our goal is to maintain a diversified stream of income so we can continue to provide our services to children and families at no cost.


8. Does the CAN Council provide counseling services?

The Children’s Advocacy Centers (CAC) offer crisis counseling for cases that come through the centers. For long-term counseling, the Arenac & Bay County CAC refers to the Bay Area Women’s Center, while the Saginaw County CAC refers to the Sexual Assault Center at Child & Family Services of Saginaw.


9. Do you offer parenting classes?

Our Child Abuse Prevention Education (CAPE) program offers a diversified Parent Education Curriculum. CAN Council works to ensure parenting programs are available throughout the community by partnering with a multitude of community agencies.

If you have additional questions, comments or concerns, please contact one of our offices.